Sunday, March 26, 2017
Kashmir Times Logo
Top Stories
Undeclared curfew, restrictions foil Markundal, Kondabal marches
Shut down, firing in air, tear gassing, protests
SRINAGAR, July 3: The authorities today imposed undeclared curfew and strict restrictions in Sumbal, Hajin, Naidkhai and various other areas of North Kashmir and Central Kashmir to foil Markundal and Kondabal chalo march call of Hurriyat Conference (G).

Despite the tough security restrictions, clashed occured at various areas of Kashmir valley between agitated youth and police against the killing of two youths on Sunday allegedly by army.

Senior separatist leaders including Hurriyat Conference (G) Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Hurriyat Conference (M) Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, JKLF Chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik, Democratic Party Chairman, Shabir Ahmad Shah and others were placed under house arrest to prevent them for going to Markundal and Kondabal to attend the condolence and prayer rallies of Irfan Ahmad Ganaie and Tariq Ahmad Leharwal.

A complete shutdown was observed on the fourth consecutive day today at Bandipora, Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara, Hajan, Lar Ganderbal, Palhalan and various other areas of north and central Kashmir against the killing of two youths.

Shops, schools, colleges and business establishments remained closed at most of these, while as public transport was off the roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was thin. However, public transport was plying normally in other party of valley.

From early hours today, the authorities imposed undeclared curfew at Naidkhai, Sumbal, Hajan, Markundal and imposed strict restrictions at Bandipora, Ajas, Safapora, Palhalan, Ganderbal and various other areas of Kashmir valley to foil the Markundal and Kondabal call given by Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

Hundreds of police and CRPF men were deployed in these towns so that people would not come out from their homes to march towards these villages. The police and CRPF also laid razor wires and barricades at almost all the main roads and junctions leading to Markundal and Kondabal villages.

The police, CRPF and army has placed armoured vehicles at various roads to prevent the entry of people towards these villages.

The restrictions imposed by the government to foil the march call provoked people at various places, who later pelted stones at police and CRPF.

Large number youth carrying green flags tried to take out a protest rally near Kurhama, Barsoo (Ganderbal) on Srinagar-Lar bypass towards the Kondabal Ganderbal, the native village of Tariq Ahmad Leharwal, but the heavy contingent of police and CRPF deployed in the areas stopped their way and did not allow the protest to proceed.

Agitated youth resorted to heavy stone pelting while police responded with tear smoke shells. Clashes continued for hours at Kurhama, Barsoo between the protestors and police. Station House Officer, Kheer Bhawani Imtiyaz Ahmed Mir and another officer from armed police received injuries during these clashes.

In similar incidents, youths pelted stones at main town Sopore, Palhalan, Hajan, Naidkhai, Papchan, Sumabal, Kurhama, Barsoo and various other areas of north Kashmir towards the police and CRPF. The forces also lobbed tear gas shells and resorted to firing in air to disperse the protesters.

However, the protesters gave a stiff resistance to the police and other security forces, forcing them to deploy more personnel in Palhalan.

Police managed to control the situation, but the youth were pelting stones in small groups towards the forces. During these clashes more than a dozen youths and force personnel also got injured. Police have also arrested some youths from Hajan and its adjoining areas allegedly involved in stone pelting incidents.

Outside General Bus stand Batamaloo and at fruit Mandi Parimpora some youth pelted stones towards police, but the cops chased these youths and brought the situation under control.

Elsewhere in the Kashmir valley, particularly in Srinagar and major townships like Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam, Budgam, Pattan and various other areas witnessed tight security measures to prevent people from leading protest demonstration in response to a Chalo call given by Geelani.

Meanwhile, Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman has criticised the state government for imposing curfew and restrictions to thwart his march call.

He said that Army is killing the innocents under a conspiracy and later state government through its police and CRPF is not allowing people to offer their condolences with bereaved families.

The Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman has also condemning the arrest of Manzoor Ahmad Sheikh by police a key witness of the incident in which Irfan Ahmad Ganaie was captured and later killed allegedly by Army.

Geelani said that he was arrested with the intention to pressurize him to change his statement over the direct involvement of army.

Geelani also said chief minister Omar Abdullah government is providing a full cover to all those human right violation incidents in which Army, Police and other agencies are responsible.

He also said that Omar Abdullah government is announcing the ex gratia relief to silent the voices of the people against these killings. .

Addressing various small groups in Markundal and Kondabal villages through telephone, Geelani said that he is supporting impartial probe demanding by Amnesty International. He said army is making baseless statements to shield their culprits and to create confusion among the people over their involvement.

He also said that a counter insurgent, who was accompanied with the Army party, has accepted in front of common people and with media that Army has killed Irfan.

Geelani said people should not expect much from these investigations of Army and state government, as those who are investigating the incident are themselves responsible for these killings.

He also said that they have seen hundreds of inquires in past and it is a routine for them to make tall claims with respect to investigations and latter the case file is hushed up and added neither accused is put on trial nor punished for the crime.

News Updated at : Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Comment on this Story 
Top Stories of the Day  
Manzoor, army killed Irfan: Family
SRINAGAR, July 3: The family of Irfan Ahmad, who was killed at Markundal, today blamed Manzoor Ahmad Sheikh, an alleged army informer, and an army man for opening fire on the teenaged boy and killing him. However, the higher education minister, Mohammad Akbar Lone, put the blame on Manzoor but held army equally responsible for the killing. Manzoor, a tipper driver, had claimed that he was witness to the killing by army and later he was arrested by police. However, Irfan’s family today alleg
> Defence minister assured action: Soz
> SHRC takes notice of Markundal killings
> Tufail Matoo killing case: Family counsel concludes arguments on closure, status report
> Won’t talk about AFSPA: Omar
> 11 people from PAK detained at Nepal border
Other Stories from Web  
Find us on
Weather Report
Shridev Sharma
Mata Vaishnodevi | Matavaishnodevi | Mata Vaishno Devi
Electric Blanket | Electric Bed Warmers | Electric Under Blankets | Electric Heating Blanket
Web Design Jammu, Web Design Company, Ideogram Jammu
Home | Contact Us | Kashmir Times | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Jammu | Kashmir Times E-Paper - Srinagar | Dainik Kashmir Times | Jammu Prabhat
Copyright 2013 Kashmir Times Group. All rights reserved. Powered by Ideogram Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd.