Senior lawyers of repute turn down Tiktok's brief

KT NEWS SERVICE. Dated: 7/2/2020 1:28:45 AM

NEW DELHI, Jul 01: TikTok, a Chinese video-sharing social networking service which is among 59 Chinese mobile apps banned by India on Monday, finds no senior Indian lawyer of repute is ready to take its brief to challenge the government action in the Supreme Court.
Instead of rushing to the Apex Court, it has the option to represent to the government to satisfy it that it poses no threat to the safety, security, defence, sovereignty or integrity of India as stated by the Law and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, but its India head claims it is finding difficulty to even get the legal advice in this regard.
Former Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi, an appointee of the Modi government who quit the post in June 2017 on completion of the 3-year term, on Wednesday refused to appear for the banned Chinese mobile App Tik Tok, saying that he would not appear against the government.
Rohatgi, who quit the prestigious post to get back to lucrative legal practice, stressed that he would not appear for the banned Chinese app because of the current tension on the Indo-China line of control at Galwan. He said it is not "feel right" to appear for a Chinese company in view of the current tense situation.
Senior Congress leader and noted senior advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who had appeared for TikTok only last year, too refused to take its brief on Wednesday. He told a news agency: "“I will not be appearing for TikTok. I had appeared for them in a case one year ago and won in Supreme Court. I don’t intend to appear in this one."

 

Video

Indian History... Read More
 

FACEBOOK

 

Daily horoscope

 

Weather